A three-year initiative to reconnect NC civically, socially and economically.
In 2017, the Institute for Emerging Issues (IEI) used its first-ever “crowdsourcing” effort to identify the biggest issues facing North Carolina. After reaching out to thousands of North Carolinians asking, “what’s the biggest issue facing our state over the next five years?,” there was one common theme: People in North Carolina were feeling more disconnected than ever and they wanted to do something about it.
With the help – and voices – of citizens throughout North Carolina, IEI launched a three-year initiative focused on reengaging the state called ReCONNECT NC. Throughout the three years, IEI hosted six forums based on the specific needs that North Carolina residents and organizations identified.
reconnect nc forums
ReCONNECT to Community
View the ReCONNECT to Community Impact Report
ReCONNECT Rural & Urban
View the ReCONNECT Rural & Urban Impact Report
ReCONNECT to Economic Opportunity
View the ReCONNECT to Economic Opportunity Impact Report
ReCONNECT to Technological Opportunity
View the ReCONNECT to Technological Opportunity Impact Report
ReCONNECT to Move Forward
ReCONNECT for the Future
ReCONNECT NC: The Time is Now
As part of the ReCONNECT NC series, IEI chose five communities to highlight at each forum. These were community groups working at the local, regional, or county levels to solve the problems and explore the issues that were the focus of each forum.
ReCONNECT to Community Cohort
- Choosing Equity Series
- Rural Opportunity Institute
- One Team. One Goal. One Community.
- Explore Elkin
- Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts
ReCONNECT Rural & Urban Cohort
- Carolina Core
- Project Empathy
- Project 40
- Growing Outdoors Partnership
- STEM SENC
ReCONNECT to Economic Opportunity Cohort
- Beaufort County
- Building with Our Veterans
- Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc. (OIC) of Rocky Mount
- Partnering for Community Prosperity (P4CP)
- United Way of Greater Greensboro, Integrated Service Delivery Initiatives
ReCONNECT to Technological Opportunity Cohort
- Charlotte Digital Inclusion Alliance
- City of Wilson and RIoT
- Digital Durham
- Land of Sky Regional Council, WestNGN Broadband Initiative
- Wilkes Community College
ReCONNECT to Move Forward: Mental Health & Well-Being Cohort
- El Futuro, Inc.
- Integrating Care for Marginalized and Underserved Communities
- McDowell County Mental Health Project
- Pender County Resiliency Task Force
- The REACH Center
- Resources and Reasons to Grow