Institute for Emerging Issues

Meet Katherine, IEI’s New Hunt Intern

The Institute for Emerging Issues (IEI) is pleased to announce that NC State University junior Katherine Helms has been selected as the Hunt Intern for the 2024-2025 academic year. The Hunt Internship is a program for NC State undergraduates interested in a career in public policy and public service.

The Hunt Internship, now in its fourth year, is made possible through an endowment supported by Gov. James B. Hunt Jr. and his wife, Carolyn. 

Learn more about Katherine in the following Q&A:

Major: Political Science
Minor: Statistics
Graduation year: 2026
Hometown: Fairfax Station, VA
Extracurricular activities/hobbies: I am on the NC State swim team. In addition to my athletic commitments, I serve as the Civic Engagement Subcommittee Chair for Pack United, a student-athlete non-profit organization focused on promoting social justice and civic engagement. Furthermore, I am part of the NC State Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

Q: What are your goals after you graduate?

A: After graduation, my immediate goal is to gain practical experience in the workforce before going to graduate school. I am interested in public health and environmental issues and their intersections with government, public policy and law. I aspire to contribute to a think tank like the Brookings Institution, where I can apply my interdisciplinary knowledge to generate innovative policy solutions.

Q: What made you interested in the Hunt internship?

A: I am interested in the Hunt Internship because of my passion for public service, policy and making a positive impact on the state of North Carolina. IEI’s mission to bring together diverse perspectives and collaborate on solutions to critical policy issues aligns perfectly with my values and career aspirations. I am excited by the prospect of applying my strong analytical, communication and administrative skills to support IEI’s important work.

Q: What do you hope to get out of this experience?

A: As an intern at IEI, I aim to deepen my understanding of North Carolina’s policy landscape, particularly in energy, as I contribute to the 2025 Emerging Issues Forum. My engineering background will enable me to engage meaningfully in research and discussions on energy policy. The opportunity to work alongside experienced professionals at IEI and gain hands-on experience in research, data analysis and policy development is incredibly valuable.

Q: What do you believe is the biggest emerging issue facing our state?

A: The most pressing issue in North Carolina is transitioning to clean energy. This emerging issue involves the need to accelerate the utilization of solar, wind and energy storage technologies. However, part of the challenge comes from working with the three main power grids already established in the United States. Policymakers and engineers have to work within the constraints of these established grids while simultaneously upgrading and modernizing the grid infrastructure. The process will not only involve technical considerations but also navigating resource inequality throughout the state. North Carolina has to align its clean energy goals with its economic development objectives, ensuring energy affordability for all residents. While clean energy is crucial for North Carolina’s future, it is also a nationwide issue. The state has the potential to lead by example in the transition to sustainable energy solutions.