Institute for Emerging Issues

Jessica Solis Aguilar Joins IEI as Policy and Program Manager

The Institute for Emerging Issues (IEI) at NC State University is excited to welcome Jessica Solis Aguilar as its new policy and program manager. In this role, she will lead research efforts and stakeholder engagement to define key issues for programmatic themes, including developing meeting agendas to recommend best practices and implement strategies to drive collaborative action with stakeholders and internal teams.

Get to know Jessica in this brief Q&A:

Q: Tell us a bit about your background and how you came to IEI.

A: My previous experience has been primarily working with students that identify as Hispanic/Latinx youth in rural North Carolina and families that come from immigrant backgrounds. I have worked in various youth outreach organizations, nonprofits and college access programs including UNC Wilmington’s MI CASA mentoring program, Brigade Boys & Girls Club and the Juntos 4-H Program. Apart from providing direct services to students, I am also passionate about working with stakeholders that can impact the policy change that improves access and economic mobility for all North Carolinians. I became interested in the work that IEI does to address significant and timely issues such as economic development, workforce readiness and educational innovation. IEI’s work on emerging issues involves not just understanding but actively shaping future trends and growth for the state of North Carolina. 

Q: What interests you most about working at IEI? Is there a particular program or area of work you’re most excited about?

A: I became interested in IEI because of their collaborative approach in bringing together diverse stakeholders, including policymakers, businesses and community leaders, to create comprehensive and effective solutions. Their focus on innovation and impact demonstrates a forward-thinking mindset and a dedication to addressing evolving challenges. I’m particularly excited about the Emerging Issues Forum and IEI’s direct engagement with communities that reflects their commitment to practical, on-the-ground impact.

Q: What do you believe is the biggest emerging issue facing our state?

A: One of the biggest emerging issues facing North Carolina is the challenge of balancing economic growth with environmental sustainability. As the state continues to experience rapid population growth and urban development, there are increasing concerns about the impact on the supply of resources and the equitable access for vulnerable and marginalized populations. 

Q: What kinds of things do you like to do for fun?

A: In my spare time I enjoy Latin dancing, traveling, volunteering and making treats for my labradoodle Skipper.