Institute for Emerging Issues

IEI Celebrates Graduating Student Interns

The Institute for Emerging Issues (IEI) at NC State University congratulates its graduating student interns Freya Dahlgren, Adam Sichel and Brodie Smith of the Class of 2024. These three undergraduate students have excelled as IEI interns, and the organization wishes them every success on their future journeys.

Learn more about the graduating seniors:

Freya Dahlgren

School: Meredith College
Major: Psychology and Communication, Interpersonal Communication and Public Relations Concentrations
Role at IEI: Faith & Community Initiative Intern

Freya worked with IEI on implementing plans for Faith & Community Initiative events, including the annual conference, and connecting communities to faith organizations.

“My experience at IEI has challenged me to become more adaptable and has provided me with amazing opportunities to connect my values with my work in a meaningful way,” said Freya.

Two people stand at the front of a room holding microphones
Faith & Community Initiative Intern Freya Dahlgren (right) led an activity at the Faith & Community annual conference in April 2024.

Adam Sichel

School: NC State University
Major: Political Science 
Role at IEI: Communications Intern

During his time with IEI, Adam served as a storyteller for efforts related to the Talent First Economic Community Cohort. 

“Working at IEI as this year’s Communication Intern has easily been the highlight of my professional work experience while at NC State,” said Adam. “Not only has this position given me a deeper knowledge of workforce development practices across the state, but it has also allowed me to grow and harness my communication skills in an incredibly supportive environment. I am so thankful for IEI and all that it has done for me!”

Check out Adam’s work:

Five people stand posing for a photo at a conference
Communications Intern Adam Sichel (right) attended the A3 Education & Workforce Symposium at UNC Asheville in November 2023.

Brodie Smith

School: NC State University
Major: Political Science with a concentration in Law and Justice; Science, Technology, and Society
Role at IEI: Policy Intern

Brodie served as the Policy Intern at IEI for two years, primarily contributing to the 2023 Emerging Issues Forum program of work on Talent First Economics.

“Being able to intern for the Institute for Emerging Issues over the last two years has been a transformative experience,” said Brodie. “One aspect of working with IEI that is truly unmatched is the staff and the office environment—the community of amazing individuals that make up this team are always quick to provide opportunities to develop professionally and gain experience across different parts of the organization. I have loved my time with IEI, and I cannot wait to see how this organization works to connect North Carolinians for years to come!”

Check out Brodie’s work:

The staff of the Institute for Emerging Issues pose for a group photo
Policy Intern Brodie Smith (third from left) is graduating from NC State University after two years interning with IEI.