Institute for Emerging Issues

IEI Welcomes Ellen Beasley to the Faith and Community Team

The Institute for Emerging Issues (IEI) at NC State University is excited to welcome Ellen Beasley to the team as a full-time staff member working with the Faith & Community initiative. Ellen has been involved with IEI since 2016.

Q: Tell us a bit about your background and how you came to IEI.

A: I stumbled upon an internship at IEI my senior year of college after I had already sworn off internships after a not so fun one the summer before. The combination of combining my rural roots, community development studies, and United Methodist knowledge was too intriguing to pass by so I applied. 6 ½ years and a few grant extensions later I’m excited to finally call myself a full time employee at IEI!

Q: In your time with IEI, what have you learned about rural faith institutions in NC?

A: Rural faith institutions and their communities do SO MUCH COOL STUFF!, for lack of better words. The depth at which faith community members care for their broader communities and the energy they have toward working on community issues is truly amazing.

Q: What do you believe is the biggest emerging issue facing our state?

A: I am very passionate about Positive and Adverse Childhood Experiences (PACEs). Whether you are currently a child or have once been a child, I believe learning about PACEs and establishing care for children and everyone’s inner child will help with many current and upcoming emerging issues in NC.

Q: What kinds of things do you like to do for fun?

A: I love joyful movement and am a regular at Current Wellness in downtown Raleigh. If I’m not at work or at Current, I am likely hanging out with some small children looking at bugs at a park or lounging on the couch with my geriatric mutt dog Tiki.

Q: Is there anything else you want us to know about you?

A: I am a proud NC State Alumni and love going to Wolfpack sporting events!