What is a service year?
A service year is a paid opportunity to develop real world skills through hands-on experience. Whether you’re figuring out what’s next after high school or throughout college, searching for an opportunity to forge a new path, looking to gain skills and experience for a job, or wanting to change your career — a service year may be just what you’re looking for. It’s an extraordinary year that transforms your life and your community. It’s not your typical path; it’s an experience for A Better You. A Greater Us.
When can I do a service year?
Want to take a break from academics? What if you could, and do something purposeful while getting paid and building your resume? Consider a service year as a gap year experience.
Looking for a high-impact summer experience? Looking to get paid while being of service to your community? Consider the AmeriCorps VISTA summer associate program.
- As a way to launch your career
- As a way to fund graduate school
- As a way to try something new for a year, and be of service in the process.
What can I do during my service year?
Service years are available in a wide variety of focus areas, allowing you to help tackle pressing issues facing communities, including: education, environment, disaster relief, health, and more. You’ve may have heard about some of the most well-known service year programs — AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Teach for America, and City Year to name a few. There are thousands of additional programs as well that host service year opportunities and are looking for people like you to help power their organizations and achieve their missions.
Why should I do a service year?
When you do a service year, you can:
- Develop valuable leadership and professional skills
- Stand out when applying to college and jobs
- Get paid
- Make an impact in a community you care about while working on issues that inspire you
- Serve where you live or move to a new city
- Meet new people from diverse backgrounds
- Qualify for an education award to help pay for college or pay off student loans
- Be a part of a community and something larger than yourself
Need more information? Dive deeper into service year.