BECOME a 2015-16 COMMONS AMBASSADOR!
a Service internship in civic engagement leadership AT NC STATE’S INSTITUTE FOR EMERGING ISSUES
[Note: Application deadline is midnight, Sept 23, 2015!]
BE A COMMONS AMBASSADOR!
Interested in civic engagement and innovative ways to make North Carolina a stronger, better state? IEI is recruiting a select group of NCSU students as Commons Ambassadors. The year-long volunteer internship program is a cohort-based leadership experience centered on civic engagement.
What’s civic engagement? Simple. It’s all the ways we connect and participate to make our community and state a better place: volunteering and helping neighbors; voting, contacting an elected official, voicing your views on public issues; leading a group; and lots more.
IEI is a non-partisan public policy organization that brings North Carolinians together to build consensus about moving our state forward. As a Commons Ambassador, you’ll be closely connected to that work, serving in IEI’s Emerging Issues Commons, an innovative, award-winning “civic engagement exhibit” located in Hunt Library. The Commons expands IEI’s connection to citizens and their desire to connect, collaborate, and drive change.
We seek enthusiastic early college, undergraduate, and graduate students, from all majors, to help visitors interact with the digital resources of the Commons exhibit and better understand its power and purpose. In the process, Commons Ambassadors gain first-hand knowledge of key issues affecting the state, build their leadership and facilitation skills through training and direct experience, and meet and interact with campus and community civic leaders.
- Current NC State early college, undergraduate, or graduate student from any major
- Willingness to serve two hours per week (flexible scheduling) in the Commons, leading tours as leader/facilitator of the Commons visitor experience
- Passion for civic engagement and policy impact, leadership, and North Carolina
- Attend required orientation and Commons Ambassador Leadership Development sessions throughout the year (4 per semester, dates tbd)
COMMONS AMBASSADOR BENEFITS:
- Training in leading/facilitating Commons visitor tours, leadership development, and policy analysis
- Opportunity to design and present personalized Commons tour experience
- Flexible scheduling of weekly two-hour service – choose times/dates from dynamic online calendar
- Meet and interact with civic leaders and policy professionals
- Admission to IEI’s 2016 Emerging Issues Forum, “FutureWork,” Feb. 8-9, 2016
Questions/more info? Contact Kendall Hageman, IEI Education Policy Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.