Agenda Announced for 2024 Emerging Issues Forum
The Institute for Emerging Issues (IEI) at NC State University is pleased to announce the agenda for the 2024 Emerging Issues Forum, “Weathering Financial Storms: A Resilient Future for North Carolina Families” taking place Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2024, at the NC State University McKimmon Center in Raleigh.
This year’s forum will examine financial resilience: the ability for households to financially withstand and recover from economic challenges.
Michelle Singletary, award-winning personal finance columnist for The Washington Post, will deliver keynote remarks. Attendees will also hear from representatives with Bank of America, the Center for Responsible Lending, Civic Federal Credit Union, Duke University’s Common Cents Lab, Fidelity, Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont, MDC Inc., the NC Council on Economic Education, SaverLife, United Way of North Carolina and more. Topics include:
- Social media’s influence on financial education across generations.
- The promise and perils of technology for building financial resilience.
- Why it can be hard to save money, approaches to managing debt and strategies for building emergency savings.
- The latest insights from behavioral science to make more informed financial decisions, design financial products and services, and provide support for customers.
- Connecting the unbanked to formal banking and setting them up to pursue financial goals.
- The impact of employee financial well-being on company performance, including practical steps companies can take to support their workers.
- Building resilience through public and employer benefits.
- Examining youth financial education and North Carolina’s new financial education mandate.
View the full forum agenda for additional information.
General tickets for the forum are $295 with discounts available for groups of six. Local and regional government employees can purchase tickets at a discounted rate of $100. Student tickets are $50. Scholarships are also available for students and others who identify cost as a barrier to registration. Scholarship applications must be received by no later than Jan. 31. To learn more and register, go to go.ncsu.edu/2024-forum.
About the Institute for Emerging Issues
The Institute for Emerging Issues at NC State University is a nonpartisan connector, bringing North Carolinians together to find solutions to the state’s emerging and most critical policy issues.
About the Emerging Issues Forum
Since 1986, the Emerging Issues Forum has attracted leaders in business, education and public policy to discuss issues with profound implications for North Carolina’s future prosperity. It has helped catalyze the policy reforms, public investments and other proactive responses required to build an enduring capacity for progress in North Carolina.