First in Future: Biltmore Farms, LLC President Jack Cecil (Pt. 2)

Summary: The Asheville of today is a many-splendored thing. It’s appeared on numerous “Best of” lists and received countless titles – like “One of the Best Places to Reinvent Your Life,” “The Happiest City in America for Women,” “The Hippie Capital of the South,” “The Best City for Locavores,” “The Most Romantic Place in U.S.A. and Canada,” and, of course, “Beer City U.S.A.” – and combined with its natural physical beauty, it offers many enticing features for newcomers. This week’s guest remembers Asheville before all those awards, when it was really struggling to recover from the Great Depression. As a direct descendent of George Washington Vanderbilt, the man behind the Biltmore House, Jack Cecil* and his family have been in Asheville for generations. As we talk with Jack about how Asheville recovered, changed and grew into itself, we hope you’ll listen for some of the ways he’s learned what it takes to develop communities in the future in a way that lasts. Listen to part one here!

*Full disclosure: Cecil is also Chair of the Institute for Emerging Issues National Advisory Board.

Excerpt: “If the community is good to me, then I need to give back to the community, or the other way around – I need to give to the community so the community can be good to me. If I want to be a successful businessperson, or a successful lawyer or doctor, I think one can always learn by being around other individuals that may come from a different viewpoint or perspective or profession.”

Last North Carolina Peak to Climb: The Crescent Trail between Mount Celo down past Mount Mitchell – the horizontal piece of it.

North Carolinian to Watch: Durham entrepreneur Jud Bowman.

Listen to part one of the podcast here.

Listen to part two of the podcast: